Wednesday 13 May 2015

Frezenberg Ridge, 13th May 1915


Today marks the 100th Anniversary of the Battle for Frezenberg Ridge, part of what would later come to be known as the Second Battle of Ypres.

In 1985 I interviewed a veteran of that battle, Sergeant Henry Thirlby Hack MM of C Squadron, The Leicestershire Yeomanry and you can read more about him by following the link. 

Thirlby was a former student at Loughborough Grammar School and the school magazine, The Quornian, published an account of the battle which I publish below.  The image above shows men of C Squadron (Loughborough) forming up in Loughborough market square in August 1914.

 



 
Also see the Leicestershire Yeomanry website which gives a great deal of information about the regiment during the First World War and features potted biographies of many of the men, Thirlby Hack included.
 
I offer a fast, efficient and cost-effective military research service. Have a look at my military research page and drop me a line if you think I might be able to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment